MMA Root

Dana White Claims McGregor/Poirier III Was Nearly Scrapped – MMA Root



According to UFC President Dana White, there was a very real possibility that fans had lost the Conor McGregor-Dustin Poirier trilogy fight.

Last week, Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier were involved in a very public and very personal dispute over a $ 500,000 donation that McGregor promised to send to Poirier’s Good Fight Foundation. The question? The money never came, as Poirier revealed on social media.

McGregor would give his side of the story, stating that the donation had not been provided because Team Poirier did not provide a breakdown of how the funds would be allocated. Before long, McGregor’s temper spiraled out of control to the point that the Irishman called off the entire fight and launched an open challenge for someone to take Poirier’s place at UFC 264.

Within hours of the public feud and McGregor’s alleged cancellation, the UFC made it official: Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier III will be their UFC 264 main event this July. The questionable timing aside, Dana White was right in the middle of the conflict and can attest that the issue was as real as it sounds.

“Oh yeah. Yeah, there was a good chance it would collapse,” White said in an interview with TSN. to promote the fight. I can assure you of that. But we did it. “

According to White, it wasn’t just Conor McGregor who was prepared to walk away from the fight before coldness finally prevailed.

“Both guys,” White said when asked if he had to convince McGregor to get back in the fight. “We had to come and go. Listen, man, we’ve been doing this for 20 years. This is what we do. We did it “.

On July 10, Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier will have a chance to settle scores, both in terms of their renewed spirits and, more importantly, figuring out who is the best competitor.

Are you convinced that the recent public drama between Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier was legitimate?

Add comment